Espectaculos

Missing Presumed Dead in Grenfell Tower Fire

Missing Presumed Dead in Grenfell Tower Fire

The cause of Wednesday's blaze is still under investigation, but anger has mounted in the community amid reports that exterior paneling used in an extensive renovation completed a year ago may have been banned by United Kingdom rules. "So that 58 would include that 30", he said.

Cundy warned that the toll of 79 people could change.

Cundy became visibly upset as he described conditions in the charred Grenfell Tower, where a search and recovery operation is expected to last weeks.

With blackened rubble strewn across the floor and exposed pipes, one room is unrecognisable as a home until a bath and sink come into view - the dividing wall destroyed completely by the fire.

The fire ripped through the high-rise early Wednesday.

"Four hundred or so people - still a lot of them have not got somewhere decent or safe or secure to stay", he said.

Mr Cundy said the police investigation into the blaze would look at the building and its refurbishment in 2016 and vowed to prosecute people "if there is evidence".

Fifty-eight people are confirmed or presumed dead in the fire and authorities fear that death toll will rise. He asked anyone who was in the tower and survived to contact police immediately.

But the Conservative leader of the local council, Nick Paget-Brown, said he and others had been working hard.

The British Prime Minister Theresa May has admitted the support offered to families in the aftermath of the Grenfell Tower fire was "not good enough".

Afterwards, she said she had "heard their concerns" and ordered immediate action to help them. "I've said before one of my absolute priorities is to identify people as quick as we can, to recover them from Grenfell Tower".

Officials are using dental records, fingerprints and DNA samples to try and positively identify victims. They paid their respects before the start of the annual Trooping the Color procession that marks the observance of the queen's birthday.

Members of the emergency services join people in a minute's silence for the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire near the site of the blaze in North Kensington, London, on Monday.

The 91-year-old monarch said that Britain remains "resolute in the face of adversity" after the horrendous fire and recent extremist attacks in London and Manchester.

The UK government has promised that all those left homeless by the disaster will be rehoused in the local area.

Scuffles broke out near the Kensington and Chelsea town hall offices Friday as demonstrators chanting "We want justice!" surged toward the doors.

At least 58 people are dead or presumed dead after the blaze. Many questions also center on the speed at which the fire spread.

The tragedy has provoked a huge response from nearby communities. More than 3 million pounds ($3.8 million) have been raised for the victims.

Outside, many people lit candles and added flowers to banks of bouquets piled against the church walls. Victims were going to hotels, arriving at hotels, with no one from the council to greet them, to check them in, to give them clothes and food.

The statement comes as Transport for London partially closed two Tube lines because of London Fire Brigade (LFB) saying there was a "short-term risk of some debris falling on to the tracks".

Before the fire, residents of the tower block had protested about cuts to the housing budget. "Some survivors have also complained the government has been painfully slow to find them places to sleep".