Deportes

London fire death toll rises to 79

London fire death toll rises to 79

Police have been struggling to come up with an authoritative list of who was in the building when the fire started, making it hard to determine how many had died.

Sources from within the Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (HKIS) suggested that the cladding design of Wing On Centre is quite different from that of Grenfell Tower.

Over the past few days, another five people who had been reported missing in the fire have been found to be safe and well, Cundy said, saying he's "so grateful" for the news. All the rest are homeless.

May said after the meeting there have been "huge frustrations" in the community as people tried to get information about the fire investigation.

British authorities said Monday that 79 people were now confirmed dead or missing after the June 14 London high-rise fire that has infuriated the British public and placed pressure on the government of Prime Minister Theresa May.

A man who allegedly lives near Grenfell Tower said he knew families in the building and has claimed that the 42 bodies, including those of children and the elderly, were discovered together in one room after the building was caught on fire, according to The Mirror.

In a letter to May, he listed a litany of residents' concerns, including a lack of information about missing relatives, the chaotic response of the local council and worries over safety in other tower blocks. Cundy said emergency workers have now reached the top of the tower.

Cundy promised an exhausting investigation into the tragedy.

"It's taken a awful inferno with nearly 80 people cremated to death for someone like me and for the community to be seen and to be heard", said Ms Allison, who is black.

Damian Magee, the crew manager at Whitechapel Fire Station in east London, spoke of the disbelief he and his team felt as they approached the inferno.

Earlier, a sign at a Tube station said that the service suspension was because of the "safety" of nearby Grenfell Tower, suggesting structural concerns.

A fire department spokesman said crews are working to secure the debris so that two subway lines could be reopened as soon as possible.

A prominent British Labour Party lawmaker is calling for police and the government to seize all documents relating to the renovation of a London high-rise destroyed by a fire that killed dozens of its residents.

Major roads near the stricken building were open Saturday.

She later, under heavy policy guard, visited St Clement's Church, a community hub that has been offering support to residents since the fire, but was greeted by angry crowds, who shouted "coward" and "shame on you" as she left via a side door, again, without facing the public.

There are also 78 families who have been assessed and are on course to be placed in properties that are local or in the neighbouring borough by the end of the day.

She also noted that an emergency fund of more than $6 million has begun to be "distributed on the ground so people can buy clothes, food and other essentials". Experts believe the new paneling, which contained insulation, helped spread the flames quickly up the outside of the public housing tower.

She sought to combat some of the criticism with a meeting with residents, victims, volunteers and community leaders at Downing Street today.