Espectaculos

Girl accidentally electrocuted while playing in lagoon

Girl accidentally electrocuted while playing in lagoon

Authorities say a young New Jersey girl playing with friends in a lagoon has died after being electrocuted when she touched a rail on a metal boat lift that had become energized.

Police said the girl, a Newark, New Jersey resident, was visiting Toms River when she and two friends were swimming with life jackets on and using an inflatable raft with adults present just after 8 p.m. The two other girls that accompanied her were evaluated at the scene and were not hurt.

According to the Asbury Park Press, the Electrical Safety Foundation says contact in water with 1/50th of the energy needed to power a 60-watt light bulb can cause serious injuries.

Arriving officers and emergency responders performed CPR on the child before taking her to the Community Medical Center in Toms River hospital where she was pronounced dead. The lagoon was behind the friends' house on Tobago Avenue, police said.

The death remains under investigation.