Fidget spinner sends child to emergency room

Fidget spinner sends child to emergency room

A 10-year-old girl from Texas had to have surgery after she swallowed a fidget spinner, a new toy fad topping charts across the country.

Joniec was bringing her daughter, Britton, home from a swim meet on Saturday when she noticed her daughter making a "retching" sound and found out that Britton was choking.

Kelly Rose Joniec, mother of 10-year-old Britton, detailed the recent incident in a Facebook post, explaining how her daughter almost choked on part of the popular toy. She pulled over and realized that her daughter had swallowed one of the bearings from her fidget spinner.

Joniec had a word of caution for parents about the toy, which originally was designed as a therapeutic tool for kids with ADHD and autism. That's right - part of the spinner had come apart in Britton's mouth and wedged in her esophagus, also straining her windpipe's ability to take in air.

"Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings", she said. When she looked in the rearview mirror, she saw Britton, red-faced with drool pouring from her mouth.

After attempting the Heimlich maneuver to no avail, Joniec wrote that she drove to a local urgent care clinic, where Britton was checked for choking. She was later taken to Texas Children's Hospital, and an x-ray revealed that the metal piece was lodged in the girl's esophagus. Doctors had to use an endoscope to find and remove the metal object during surgery that required general anesthesia, Joniec wrote. Do you think they need to tone it down?

Fidget spinners have suddenly become the hottest toy in America - but kids and parents should be aware of the dangers that the objects can bring. While this is the first widely reported incident of a child choking on a fidget spinner, children choking on toys is, as mentioned, far from uncommon and often severe.

Rob Ellard from Fidget Spinner UK explained the product in question was not one of his company's, reiterating that their terms and conditions state that customers must be over the age of 18 to purchase the products sold on their site.