Salud

Botulism strikes 5 who ate gas station nachos

Botulism strikes 5 who ate gas station nachos

Sacramento County health investigators have linked the store to multiple cases of botulism.

Kelly is one of at least five people who have reportedly been hospitalized for botulism after eating food purchased at the gas station, according to the Sacramento County Health and Human Services Dept.

Kelly's family say the 33-year-old was leaving work on April 21, when she stopped at Valley Oak Food and Fuel gas station in Walnut Grove for a snack.

Earlier this month, county health officials temporarily revoked the gas station's permit to sell food and drink.

Of the 12 San Jose schools that have been affected, Hacienda Environmental Science Magnet School seems to have been hit hardest, with between 80 and 90 students having called in sick so far. Lavinia was admitted to the ICU at the hospital where she had a breathing tube inserted to stabilize her breathing.

The Kelly family is suing the gas station for negligence, according to WABC. The next morning she complained of double vision and went to Sutter Medical Center, but was sent home hours later. "It's insane", said Dawn Kelly.

That's how Kelly first came to realize the seriousness of the illness that's changed her vibrant little sister, Lavinia, into a patient who's fighting to breathe or even open her eyes.

'(The gas station) should have been more aware. Botulism is caused by a nerve toxin produced by bacteria. They're handling that stuff every day. "And she was embracing life, and then all of it's shot down 'bam.' So, I don't know", said her mother Dawn Kelly. "I know they probably didn't make the cheese per se, but they handle that stuff in the store". "Somebody needs to pay attention to what the heck they're doing, you know?"

According to the lawsuit, Kelly's 'medical condition is poor, and her prognosis uncertain'.

The Valley Oak Food and Fuel is the gas station in Sacramento and Lavinia is not the first person to be diagnosed with botulism after eating food from there. "It could be a commercially made, pre-packaged item".

Botulism can be contracted from home-canned foods like asparagus and beets, but has also been contracted from tomatoes, improperly handled baked potatoes, chopped garlic, and fermented or home-canned fish. "That's an essential question". Per Fox 40 they've retained a Seattle law firm that specializes in food safety issues.

In 2014, there were 161 reported cases of botulism in the U.S. Only 15 of them were food-borne, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.