J&K: Massive search operation still underway in Nagrota

J&K: Massive search operation still underway in Nagrota

In a second incident, the Border Security Force killed two terrorists after it intercepted a group of terrorists attempting to cross over at the International Border at Ramgarh in Jammu and Kashmir's Samba sector.

India accused Pakistan of helping those militants with weapons, training and logistics, and said it sent troops across the border to launch "surgical strikes" against militants in the Pakistan-controlled part of Kashmir.

He said the combing operation against the militants was halted after it became dark and would resume on Wednesday morning. "We can not take chances", a senior army officer said. The terrorists subsequently divided themselves into two groups and entered two separate living quarters.

Bravery of the wives of two army officers who were staying in the family quarters helped in averting a major hostage crisis during the encounter that took place in Nagrota area of Jammu today.

After the initial firing, sources said, the suspects managed to break into the camp and take shelter inside the Officers Mess,"The encounter is now in progress, We are still not sure about the number of militants".

"Three soldiers and two militants were believed to have been killed and three Army men were injured". They entered an army unit located about three km from the headquarters with the intention of entering the family quarters where they would take the families of soldiers and officers hostage.

He said the heavy exchange of fire started between the soldiers and the militants.

The unit is highly fortified, said officers, but the terrorists were from the fidayeen or suicide squad and were "determined to get in".

The violence on Tuesday followed days of calm on the border and the Line of Control (LoC) between Indian and Pakistani forces. A high alert has been declared across the state now, including on the Jammu-Srinagar national highway.

The bodies of three terrorists have been recovered and operations are in progress to sanitise the complete area, he said.

Four gunmen were also killed in the stand-off with security forces inside the command centre that lasted most of the day.